Transfer of peanut allergy from the donor to a lung transplant recipient.

TitleTransfer of peanut allergy from the donor to a lung transplant recipient.
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2008
AuthorsKhalid I, Zoratti E, Stagner L, Betensley AD, Nemeh H, Allenspach L
Date PublishedOct
Accession Number18926410
KeywordsAdult, Anaphylaxis / mo [Mortality], Child, Fatal Outcome, Female, Follow-Up Studies, Humans, IM, Lung Transplantation / im [Immunology], Peanut Hypersensitivity / et [Etiology], Tissue Donors

Among solid organs, transfer of peanut allergy from donor to recipient has been implicated after liver transplantation. We report the first case in which such transfer occurred after a lung transplant. A 42-year-old woman with history of sarcoidosis underwent a successful bilateral lung transplant from a donor who died from anaphylactic shock after eating peanut-related food. Seven months later, she ate a peanut butter cookie at a transplant support group meeting. Immediately thereafter, she developed an anaphylactic reaction, but survived with prompt treatment. During subsequent follow-up, she could recall three prior episodes of wheezing and difficulty breathing after eating peanut-related foods. The first episode occurred 4 days after the transplant. Prior to her transplant, she never had problems eating peanuts. Skin-prick testing confirmed peanut sensitization. She avoided peanuts and, although her skin-prick test became negative, she still manifested peanut allergy when formally challenged orally with the food. She was advised to continue abstaining from all peanut-related foods. This case emphasizes the importance of considering donor allergy transfer when caring for all solid-organ transplant recipients in order to avoid a life-threatening event.

Alternate JournalJ.Heart Lung Transplant.
Notify Library Reference ID1807

Related Incidents